Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Album covers for The Pillows (fun fun fun ok!)

During my senior year of high school I took AP 2D design. I had been messing with digital graphics for many many years, but this was my first experience with real graphic design, although I did not realize it at the time as I was striving to do digital illustration. For the AP portfolio I was required to do a concentration: a series of 12 pieces that followed a theme. I decided I would do album covers for my favorite band - The Pillows.

I wanted to do this not only because they were my favorite band, but also because their song titles were just so bizarre and made fantastic titles for art pieces. I did covers for songs such as "Instant Music," "Waiting at the Bus Stop," "Robotman," and "Little Busters." It was incredibly fun and I learned a lot - I had never done anything quite like it.

Now I'm in my third year of design school and such things come so much more naturally to me. I just finished two quarters of visual communications with Henri Lucas and decided I would try to make a new album cover, one with more focus on typography. I decided to try the song "Fun Fun Fun OK!" because I felt like the music could inspire some fun typography. After designing the cover, I took a live-trace of the pillows logo and added it to the cover (the vector is a little sloppy, but almost unnoticeable at low resolution).

You can listen to the original song here.

No comments:

Post a Comment